13 July, 2023

...13 (in days gone by)...

 In Days Gone By:
13.July.2013

...I want you to know that 99.9% of the time I am able to keep my head above water.
But every once in a while when I'm already stressed to the max, something like this will catch me off guard and it's a freefall for a little while.
One of the hardest parts of single parenting is this aspect: Instilling a strong foundation and building his self-esteem from the bottom up.

And I know all too well, as an adoptee, the questions and concerns...
the looking to our parents to see who we are.

I always said I would be honest with my child, and I don't believe I've wavered from that yet.
I don't want him to grow up believing in some distorted fairytale version of who his biological father is. Because, quite frankly, that could prove very dangerous to him later in life. But all of that has to be weighed against the simplicity of his current questions.

It's more a matter of…
Just the facts…

I do believe that part of equipping my child to enter the adult world is providing him with some of the information regarding why we filed for that restraining order and the time for that will come.
Right now, it's more conversation of, yes you have many things in common with your biological father. He shared many of the same talents and you were granted many of the same gifts by God. What matters is what you choose to do with them and how you choose to go about fulfilling your promise and your potential.

For those of you wondering this morning, yes I deleted one of those posts. I'd rather not leave that information lurking about publicly.

My marriage was a scary time.

And during the course of it I was completely incapable of letting anyone know the true extent of what I was going through or asking for help.
I'm not "lucky to be alive" after that, I'm stubborn.
Once I made the decision to save us, there was no turning back.

And we didn't stumble at first…
We fell, and fell hard.

I'm proud of where I've gotten to, but appalled at the notion that...

where I've been, I allowed myself to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by my little corner of the cafe! If you have feedback, questions or suggestions send them my way and I will catch up with you over coffee!