04 December, 2022

...in one door and out the other...

 Holidays are rich with tradition.

Beyond the true blessing of the Nativity, some might say that those traditions make the holidays. We look forward, not to the changing of the calendar page, but to the promise of time spent with loved ones and time-honored customs.  We invest our energy and our emotion in preparing... for baking and decorating cookies or stringing lights or caroling or...
We create and continue our family history, by stitching moments in the here and now to memories of years past.  The holidays, by way of tradition, are a gateway to travel through time.

In the early years with my eldest, when I was a single-parent, I prioritized the creation of traditions with him.  Our little family of two needed that solid ground.  He, autistic, needed routine and familiarity.  I, lonely and alone, needed to believe that I could be enough for him.

I poured my creative energy into making special memories and repeating them, year after year.
And while I found satisfaction in the delight that sparkled in his eyes when he'd come downstairs in the morning to discover that day's surprise, he grew to eagerly anticipate each season's traditions.

And so, our imperfect little team of two was a family, perfect and whole and anchored in tradition.

One of those traditions, and likely one you'll recognize and have some version of yourself is the:

 Advent Calendar


Our version has changed, drastically, over the years, but began humbly enough with the store-bought (German sourced, of course! Ha!) chocolate treat.  24 sweets to count the days through Christmas Eve, hidden behind the paper doors of a holiday scene. One per day was awfully hard for my little one.
(One year, in a failed efffort to keep the temptation out of reach, I put it on the windowsill...right above one of the baseboards...and woke up to a chocolate river pouring down the wall!)
And just like that, my new tradition of buying two (just in case but more often than not, one for morning-one for night) was born. 

Gradually over the years, I tried my hand at other variations. Always buying one chocolate calendar for morning excitement, and then trying to create the perfect evening treat as well.
24 candy canes hanging on the staircase wasn't quite exciting enough, so the next year, I made 24 felt cones and hung them off garland on the staircase, filling each with a handful of special chocolates.  While absolutely adorable, that option proved far too tempting to a certain midnight snacker, and the following year the cones hung from the top of our big front window instead.
And then we moved.
And, in moving, said 'farewell' to everything we could unload at a garage sale for extra cash...those felt cones included.  Mind you, they were adorable!

Relocating, and drastically downsizing meant I had to really get creative.  As did my mom-guilt, at an all-time high by now, having ripped my boy away from everything familiar.
So that year, I went with the "spoil him daily" option...little knowing I was creating high expectations for the next few years!
With no interior stair railings to hang treats off of, I went with the next best option...24 little gifts, wrapped in paper from years gone by, for him to pick and choose from every day.
An easy win, that stood the test of time right through the end of middle school.
As time went on, I got out ahead of the rush, and bought "a few of his favorite things" well in advance.
Treats over the years ranged from tiny Transformers to his favorite snacks, and even new books from favorite authors.  And always, always craft supplies and tools to support his then-burgeoning interest in what would become his first business: custom designed 3d printed Transformers!

Then one day, I saw it.
The perfect Advent Calendar!
A darling wooden house, complete with winter woods and village, and 24 tiny little drawers.
Reminiscent of so many beautiful vintage German Christmas decorations I had grown up with.
The perfect holiday inspiration!

I knew exactly what I wanted to do, to create a lasting holiday tradition full of fun! I set to work right away, once again with scrap wrapping paper leftover from other years, and the sweetest candy-cane striped twine.  Teeny tiny scrolls...elfkin clues for a festive treasure hunt!
And he loved it!
As did I!
We had such fun that first year...making a big production of dimming the lights and turning on the Advent House, unrolling the tiny little clue and searching for where the treat had been hidden.
This was it...the one to keep!

With Henri's first Christmas season on the horizon, I searched for another Advent House and lucked out, finding one that fit the bill at T.J. Maxx.  (Since then, I've noticed they carry more and more of them each year!) 
Johannes', of course, remains the tall one as befitting his stature, and Henri has the shorter.
The "resident elf" works twice as hard now, on 1/2 the coffee! (Still nursing.)
And as with everything else when raising two boys 17 years apart, she's tasked with creating two very different advent-ures...one more challenging and abstract, the other far simpler and accessible.

And Henri follows his big brother's lead: choosing to believe in the tiny little elf who leaves tiny little clues, to sweets and treats hidden about our home.
Johannes, for his part, indulges in the fun of it...both for the inevitable treat, and for the magic we're creating for his little brother.
Year 1
Year 2

This year, I decorated early (I know, I know...I never decorate early.  But this year we needed Christmas so much more!) and Henri spent the next several days eagerly and none-too-patiently anticipating the start.  Every day, several times, he'd drag one or the other of us by hand to the houses, chortling and signing his demands to start now!
Magic...he remembered.
Tradition...ours.
***

As you may know, I've also two beloved but long-distance stepchildren.  We continue to make every effort to include them in our traditions, which can be challenging from 8 hours away.  Last year, I was delighted to find a few of these wooden forest advent calendar sets. On the first day, you open the tree...and then each day's door contains a woodland animal to either put in the tree or around it. The final day, of course, contained the tree-topping star.  We sent one to my stepchildren, and kept one each for the boys, so that every day at "generally" the same time, we could all open them together.
This year, I've used the pieces from the set in our holiday decorating, and every time I look up and see them, I think fondly of my stepchildren...just another layer of warm and cozy moments made memory...made history...made tradition.















No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by my little corner of the cafe! If you have feedback, questions or suggestions send them my way and I will catch up with you over coffee!