12 April, 2015

...spring fever...

 I saw my first daffodil today.


We were driving homeward after running errands.  Driving along on this delightfully twisty road that winds through the woods and up the mountain.  It crosses over a creek bed at several points and I always peer out in search of the mini-waterfalls. In the setting sun, the woods are a monotone brown...brown stumps, brown trunks, brown leaves.  Spring hasn't yet painted our area yet...so the only relief is the rare patch of early grass pushing through the debris.  

There's litter as well...refuse from passerbys pushed into the woods as snowplows traveled through.  In one particular spot I counted a dozen coke cans, all in a row.  Ugh!  

But as we coasted down one hill and turned a corner, a glimpse of yellow caught my eye.  There it was.  Surrounded by all that brown, and garbage perhaps. There it was.  The first daffodil.

Proud as a peacock, with it's face turned up to catch the last rays of this deliciously warm day.  Flaunting its bright petals and graceful stem.  Promising of sunny days to come, and languid evenings spent soaking in the outdoors until nightfall.  The first daffodil.

And I breathed a sigh of relief.  The long winter is over.  Spring is here at last.
~Leanna

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by my little corner of the cafe! If you have feedback, questions or suggestions send them my way and I will catch up with you over coffee!