10 February, 2011

...it's in the way...


Mister Man has had a difficult day at school today.

I know this before I ask him how his day went, or read the daily log sheet in his bookbag.
I know this before he tells me, or even looks me in the eye.

I know this because it's in the way he reaches out for my hand as he steps off the schoolbus.

And knowing it, I offer him my whole hand to clench as tightly as he can while we slowly make our way up the driveway...up the steps...into the house...and under the fort we've made over his bed. 
It's not until he grabs his faithful friend Henry with his other hand and curls up in ball around him that his fingers loosen.  And he slowly looks up and meets my eyes and tells me he still has no friends.

And while my heart breaks anew my fingers tighten around his...my grip becomes firmer and stronger and full of unspoken words... and I know my love is in the way I hold his hand.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by my little corner of the cafe! If you have feedback, questions or suggestions send them my way and I will catch up with you over coffee!