17 August, 2023

...15 (in days gone by)...

 In Days Gone By:
17.August.2018


In the light of morning, and the comfort that the fresh start of a new day promises, I choose this:
“Brokenness is just like beauty; it's something we wear and carry, and if we let it define us, it will. But we are not our beauty or our brokenness, because souls are not made of beauty or brokenness. Souls are made of something permanent. Souls are made of truth.”

Your choices broke me...the fractures and missing pieces so visible when I look at the landscape of my life. You stole choice from me, violently and purposefully and sadistically, leaving me to navigate life as a series of reactions instead of decisions. I lost myself in the definition of your actions...in the endless stream of could have-would have-should have...

And it was nothing to you....not even a ripple. No memory keeping you awake in fear...no echo of words when you looked in the mirror.

Those hurts...those fears...those anguishes that you inflicted; I bore alone.

And that's fine...they purified me...they polished all my sharp edges and made me into someone who could roll with every punch.
But today, I choose something else. Your words last night cleared the pathway for me...all that rubble you left in your wake is suddenly nothing but dust. My self-worth was never tied up in you after all...your inability to see it didn't actually negate it.

~~~

And, ps- his success has NOTHING to do with you! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by my little corner of the cafe! If you have feedback, questions or suggestions send them my way and I will catch up with you over coffee!