31 May, 2023

...come what May...

Sounds of exuberant play and gentle chastisement float in from behind the closed door where two of my brood are re-engineering a gear train...and I am...content.

The house is otherwise still and silent...household chores abandoned halfway through...and I've time to step away from the must-do's and make space for the want-to's.  

I've written here but a few times...no plan in place, or rather...no plan come to fruition.  Rather...the flow of discordant thought spilling onto the page.  Which is fine, and necessary on occasion, and...a release.
But my posts have been neither steady nor intentional, and I dislike that.
My gears are rusty...I think. The talent for word-wrangling gone to seed, from lack of use.

A funny observation here: of late, when I'm struggling to come up with the intended word, I find myself looking upward and squinting.  An action to attach to the search. 

I don't think I did that before.

Before.
When words came easily and I wasn't so wrung out.

At any rate, this little window of time is here and now, and as good a time as any to 'put in the practice'.
So...here I am...here I go...here I write...

There's been so much of May that went by unnoticed.  The soft, sweet moments of tangly-limbed book-nests and snuggle-in-mornings.  The peaks and valleys of day-to-day toddler temperament and young-adult catch-and-release.  Thrift trips and daytrips and down-the-stairs trips. New signs and new words (or...close approximations at least!) and fresh utilizations of signs and words and skills already learned.  Kitchen-craft and breakfast-failures...paint splotches and play-doh sculptures...cleanups and cleanouts and deep-cleansing-breaths.

Yes...there were bees.
And crises.
And emergencies.

But in between...there was just May.
And May was okay.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by my little corner of the cafe! If you have feedback, questions or suggestions send them my way and I will catch up with you over coffee!