12 March, 2022

...march slumbers...

March Slumbers

I watch the wind from where you lay across me,
safe, slumberous, and tangled in my arms.
You breathe a constant whisper in and out,
that lulls my racing mind and winds down time.
An icy blast that streaks out toward the trees,
its snowy duststorm breaking from our sill.
I hear the roar and see the tree limbs dance,
and whisper lullabies to keep you still.
But days ago, the window's open breeze,
brought birdsong to our quiet corner chair.
I drifted in its music as you dozed,
my hair caught in your grouchy fist.
Time slows there as you nestle in my arms,
and branches dip and sway in their own time.
A sudden flutter, black, that weaves and climbs,
a flock of birds just as you start to stir.
I watch the wind, then screw my eyes shut tight,
counting seconds I might rest before you wake.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by my little corner of the cafe! If you have feedback, questions or suggestions send them my way and I will catch up with you over coffee!