01 April, 2010

Autism Awareness Month Kicks Off

How much do I love that the official start of Autism Awareness Month shares a date with April Fool's?

Particularly since, in raising my own spectrum son, I'm daily challenged in explaining all that is not literal. Part of the challenge in communication with individuals on the autism spectrum is the tendency to not conceive of emotional language or read facial communication appropriately.

Of course, throw into the mix my own 'extreme sarcasm levels' and this little boy of mine is officially in the school of hard knocks when it comes to effective incoming and outgoing communications.

The interesting realization though is that my primary mode of outgoing communication tends to the melodramatic in both tone and facial expression. (Blame it on the Musical Theatre major in me.) I tend to think that because my son daily gets my emotional communication in full effect he's more able than most spectrum kids to read those expressions and intonations in others.

Maybe I'm right, maybe I'm wrong...but gosh darn it, I'm patting myself on the back all the same!

At any rate, for this month, expect a lot of Autism Awareness focused blogging. Show your support for our little family with comments directed at the Mister Man himself. And feel free to ask me any questions about Autism and our journey through it all. Worry not...I have no shame! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by my little corner of the cafe! If you have feedback, questions or suggestions send them my way and I will catch up with you over coffee!