19 August, 2009

...stripped of power...

In the summer after my marriage ended, with our anniversary fast approaching I came up with an idea...instead of wallowing in misery on the day intended to celebrate what was now a failed marriage, I was going to celebrate it's existence in a new way. And so, our Family Anniversary Day was born. On August 19th every year since, we've celebrated because the wedding that day put into place the family that Mister Man and I are, today.

Every year I've taken that day off from work and made it all about fun. No phone calls, no emails, no interruptions...just pure, unadulterated fun and indulgence. In the past we've incorporated one-day travels, zoo trips, museums, farms and fabulous food. And every year I come up with one activity where Mister Man is doing something for me and I'm doing something for him.

This year everything is off...and odd...and different... Because of our transitory living situation, we're not just able to take off on our own for the day. So this year, no big celebration of us. Instead I'm making Mister Man's favorite foods...declaring it no home-schoolwork day and spending the afternoon outside. And in the evening we're heading to his favorite store, !?!Target!?!, and shopping on the sly for a $5 gift for each other.

In years past we sort of stuck with a theme for each day and planned accordingly. So I guess this one's theme is: creativity within a budget, time allowance and location.

Doesn't sound to fun, does it.
Particularly since I fear that's also the theme of my everyday life.
Ah well...

Here's to another year of our perfect, if tiny, family. Mister Man, you make it worth it! Love you oodles of noodles! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by my little corner of the cafe! If you have feedback, questions or suggestions send them my way and I will catch up with you over coffee!