13 March, 2009

...back away from the magnified mirror...

Among other things I struggle with on a daily basis is the big one...self confidence, or in my case an extreme lack of it. The only time I really remember loving myself full on was right after I had my son...looking down at that perfect being and knowing it came of me...wow...

One of my efforts to combat my recognizably-untrue vision of myself is posting to ST in Threadstyle. Isn't it funny that when we look at pictures of others we automatically take in the whole, but when we see one of ourself we view it in bits and pieces?
The other day I was reading on fellow blogger Chiara's Forever Out Of Place and followed her advice to read more of Already Pretty. What a refreshing read...a woman, speaking honestly, about the quirky ways in which women see themselves. Check out some of her postings on body image and try, as I am, to embrace the wisdom in them.

And then yesterday my dear friend Jen, who in my book is the Queen of Confidence, sent on a bit of wisdom she had found:
“There comes a time when you have to stand up and shout:
This is me damn it! I look the way I look, think the way I think, feel the way I feel, love the way I love! I am a whole complex package. Take me... or leave me. Accept me - or walk away! Do not try to make me feel like less of a person, just because I don't fit your idea of who I should be and don't try to change me to fit your mold. If I need to change, I alone will make that decision.
When you are strong enough to love yourself 100%, good and bad - you will be amazed at the opportunities that life presents you." (Copyright © 2000 Stacey Charter)

So what's my take of the day?
...we (insert I) are so concerned with how others see us that we can't see what others see in us...

I'm so focused on what I see as flaws...the size of my nose and mouth, the colour of my skin, the size of my bustline...that I am incapable of seeing the whole. What a surprise it is then to catch out of the corner of my eye a reflection in the windows as I stroll down the street and compliment the elegant graceful image...only to realize...that's me.

And while that sounds like a positive step forward, I know I've a long ways to go.

Meanwhile:

Does this Halloween Fairy Princess Mask make my nose look big?!?

4 comments:

  1. I am glad you wrote this. I really think you are beautiful and never thought you wouldn't always feel this way... it's true, we see thers as a whole, us as "defective" parts!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a truly fabulous quote. Something to aspire to and work toward for sure.

    And your Halloween Fairy Princess Mask makes your face look GORGEOUS, lady.

    Thanks for the shout-out. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the supportive commenting,gals!
    I think its so important to realize that we judge ourselves so much more harshly than we do anyone else.
    I mean, c'mon, we lean a lot closer in to that mirror than we do someone else's face!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by my little corner of the cafe! If you have feedback, questions or suggestions send them my way and I will catch up with you over coffee!