11 April, 2015

WOW: Revision - Saturday


A quick refresher: 
Revision:
re-vi-sion
-the action of revising
-a revised edition or form of something
plural noun:revisions
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This past week has been "spring break" for my son. While his classmates have been crisping in sunny locales such as Maui, Bermuda and Disney, he's been living the dream right here with his Mami.  
(We live in a new-money wealthy school district.  I'm fairly certain we're considered "the poor family".)
Single-mom guilt aside (and my mid-night panic attacks about ruining his childhood by not being able to drop thousands on vacays every few months!!!), we've been milking this time for all it's worth.  Sleeping in...lazy brunches...daytrips...the works.  Yesterday we started our day over oatmeal at Panera's...at $3 and change per bowl I'm quite convinced it's right on par with taking him to Disney (I mean...right?!?)
Throw in that chai tea latte, and the subsequent Starbucks and call me the best mom EVAH! 

Anyhow, where was I?

Munching, crunching, brunching...with the best companion ever.  He brought Henry and transformers terrorcons to the party.  I brought the iPad, and on it, my blog posts.  

I'm a read-aloud editor when I write.  I'll type something out, but in order to get a feel for whether or not I like the end result. I have to read it out loud and take in the words by sound.  If it doesn't sound right, delete delete delete.  

I recently discovered I've passed that charming trait on to my son.  Spy at our window and you'll likely hear quite a lot of mumbling!

With his being around all day (and all night...autism never sleeps!) every day this week, he's been listening in on my blog posts as I write and revise them.  

Moments to be glad that I don't write about crime and/or punishment!  "Sweetie, which sounds better...flayed alive or skinned?"  Speaking of...break time...I've a turkey to de-carcass!
~~~
Back on track...
He's been listening in as I read aloud, and responding from time to time.  So as I was writing and reading at Panera's I stopped and asked him if he knew what Revision meant.
12 year old response "Yeah, Mami...that's what I do all day at school.  It means to go over your work and make it better."

Go over your work and make it better. 
Make your work better.

Sounds about right, doesn't it? 
Go over what you've done so far...the choices you've made, the paths you've taken...  Review it.  And then, make it better.  Maybe it's the big decision you've always avoided making.  Maybe it's one teeny tiny change.  Whatever it is, go over it and make it better. 

Revise what isn't working...and then keep it up.  Keep revising as you go along.  Because there's always another opportunity to pick a better path.  Be open to change as life unfolds for you.  Be willing to bend a bit from your initial plans.  

You may well discover that the true path was only reachable when you exhausted plans A through Y.  



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by my little corner of the cafe! If you have feedback, questions or suggestions send them my way and I will catch up with you over coffee!